To apply for this jobEither
- Download, Save and Complete a copy of the application form using Microsoft Word
- Submit a CV with a supporting statement that clearly demonstrates how you meet the essential requirements in the job description selection criteria. If a supporting statement is not provided your application may not be progressed
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
In preparation for the full opening of the Quadram Institute in 2018, the Institute of Food Research transitioned into Quadram Institute Bioscience on April 28th 2017.
- Job Title
- Business Development Officer
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 29 Nov 2018
- Starting Salary
- By Negotiation
- Hours per week
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 02 Jan 2019
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Engage with external organisations to seek out opportunities for QIB Research Leaders. The main objective of the role will be to reinforce existing and establishing new relationships outside the Higher Education sector to increase knowledge exchange, generate impact, identify opportunities for collaborative research and increase funded research from relevant external bodies.
Applications are invited for a Business Development Officer to join the team at the Quadram Institute (QI).
The Quadram Institute is a new interdisciplinary research institute at the forefront of a new era in food and health research. Its mission is to understand how food and the gut microbiota are linked to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease. A partnership between Quadram Institute Bioscience (formerly the Institute of Food Research), the University of East Anglia, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and BBSRC, it brings together scientists and clinicians in a new state-of-the-art building. The Quadram Institute is based on the Norwich Research Park, one of Europe’s largest centres of life sciences and home of the John Innes Centre and The Earlham Institute. (https://quadram.ac.uk/).
The main role of the Business Development Officer will be to engage with external organisations to seek out opportunities for QIB Research Leaders. The main objective of the role will be to reinforce existing and establishing new relationships outside the Higher Education sector to increase knowledge exchange, generate impact, identify opportunities for collaborative research and increase funded research from relevant external bodies.
Other key areas of the role will include attending business conferences and networking events, facilitating visits from investors and government agencies and supporting funding applications.
The ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate will be educated to MSc level or equivalent within a relevant scientific field, and possess project management skills and experience in developing collaborations and/or consortia. Ideally, they will possess knowledge of intellectual property within a research environment, and have a demonstrable ability to co-ordinate a range of different stakeholders and complex relationships.
Salary is negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full time, permanent post.
This position is offered as a developmental opportunity. The Institute will put in place an appropriate training package following the successful completion of the probationary period. This will include a formal qualification (Chartered Management Institute qualification or equivalent) and mentoring support. It is anticipated that upon successful achievement of the training programme the postholder will progress to the Institute’s Business Development Manager role through the QIB grading review process.
For further information and details of how to apply, please visit our web site https://jobs.quadram.ac.uk or contact Human Resources, Norwich BioScience Institutes Partnership, Norwich Bioscience Institutes, Norwich, NR4 7UA, UK, 01603 450462 quoting reference 1003490.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
Work with Scientists and Administrative staff of all levels across QIB, and also liaise regularly with investors, companies and Government agencies.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Support Research Leaders to develop and build relationships with industry, public sector, business intermediaries and funding organisations
- Work with the Head of Business Development to identify external partners for collaborative projects
- Interface with the EIT-Food partners to develop opportunities for collaborative innovation funding proposals
- Raise the profile of the Institute by attending business conferences, networking events, business breakfast and relevant events
- Facilitate visits from investors, companies and Government agencies
- Support/be directly involved in management and delivery of funded projects. This will include supporting Innovate UK, EIT-Food and Research Council translational funding schemes
- Work collectively within a small team with the ability to prioritise work based on opportunities
- Work to and report on performance targets agreed with the Head of Business Development
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post
Education & Qualifications
- Post graduate level qualification in a relevant scientific discipline (biology, chemistry, bio-technology, food science)
- Management or professional qualification
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience in working in a similar or transferable role
- Competent user of Office 365
- Demonstrable ability to co-ordinate a range of different stakeholders and complex relationships
- Established professional network in the biotech/pharma sectors
- Knowledge of PatBase and MyIP platforms
- Experience in developing collaborations and/or consortia
- Knowledge and application of project management skills within the context of partnership development
- Skilled at developing, maintaining and managing external networks, for the benefit of QIB
- Knowledge of intellectual property in a research environment
- Understanding of knowledge exchange and Impact in Higher Education environment
- Experience of initiating, planning and managing projects, ensuring that plans are aligned with organisational strategic goals.
- Demonstrable experience of developing/writing successful business plans/ funding applications
- Demonstrable experience in marketing and/or branding activities
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal skills. Ability to communicate complex subjects clearly and to a variety of levels and to different audiences
- Good negotiation skills
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Ability to travel both within the UK and overseas
- Willingness to work non-standard hours when necessary