- Job Title
- Laboratory Technician
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 30 Apr 2019
- Starting Salary
- £18,720 - £22,900
- Hours per week
- Project Title
- QI Technical Support Team
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 01 Jun 2019
- Months Duration
- Interview Date
- 10 May 2019
Main Purpose of the Job
Provide a high standard of technical support to academic and research staff in the Quadram Institute. The post holder will maintain working areas following protocols and good laboratory practice and support our busy and diverse research laboratories.
The post holder will be involved in general housekeeping, glassware and stock management and providing services to underpin the research programmes and postgraduate student projects.
They will also provide an essential core service support that has key health and safety duties, all of which are associated with legal compliance such as; fume cupboard monitoring, testing and safe waste, biological waste stream management and chemical disposal.
The post holder will be expected to work flexibly, which could occasionally include out of hours/weekend work.
The technical support team is based within the Science Operations, and covers most of the labs at the Institute, where they interact with all bench scientists and with Lab Managers the Health and Safety team and with some members of the Facilities Management team.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Preparing specialist materials and solutions – including media formulation
- Glassware management (collection, cleaning, return to stock, replacement)
- Responsible for maintaining adequate stock levels and in identifying items for purchase to maintain agreed stock levels
- Assisting with decontamination under guidance and running the autoclave/sterilisation service for the science areas
- Care and maintenance of research specimens and cultures
- Participating in laboratory meetings when required
- Providing assistance and guidance to staff, students and visiting workers as appropriate
- Responsible for the collation, storage and recording of hazardous waste
- Assist Health and Safety team and Lab Managers in the policing and communication of safety information and monitoring
- Routine operation and maintenance and calibration of specialist equipment
- Monitor and maintain gas cylinder supplies
- Dependent on experience and knowledge, some instruction for staff and students in the operation of standard laboratory equipment and techniques, and assisting with basic technical related problems
- Maintaining specific laboratory records including COSHH and Risk Assessment forms
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post
Education & Qualifications
- 3 passes at GCE A-level (grade A-E) and GCSEs in Mathematics, English and Science or equivalent qualifications.
- HNC or first degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Autoclave control and understanding
- Well organised and accurate
- Able to understand and conform to current Health and Safety regulations
- Glassware function
- Can demonstrate ability to take initiative in implementing project goals
- Good IT skills
- Accurate record keeping
- Recent experience of working in a multiuser biological research laboratory
- Working with quality control processes and reporting
- Preparing specialist materials and solutions, such as media and buffers
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work as part of a team
- Reliable and conscientious
- Good time management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, using initiative and applying problem solving skills
- Possess attention to detail
- Flexible and responsive approach to tasks
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required’
- Willingness to attend training courses as required and apply knowledge gained.
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Ability to move large/heavy items such as loaded trolleys, waste receptacles etc. (Reasonable adjustments will be considered in the case of applicants with a disability)
- Lift small loads up to 13kg at waist/chest height (Reasonable adjustments will be considered in the case of applicants with a disability)
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
The Technical Support team has the potential to interact with all research groups based within the QIB laboratory areas. Covering a wide remit of research activities, providing technical assistance throughout.
Applications are invited for an enthusiastic and motivated Laboratory Technician to join the Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB), based in Norwich, UK.
The successful candidate will provide a high standard of technical support to research staff in the Quadram Institute. They will maintain safe and effective laboratories and ensure good laboratory practice.
The postholder will be involved in general housekeeping, glassware and stock management and providing services to underpin the research programmes and postgraduate student projects.
They will also provide an essential core service support that has key health and safety duties, such as fume cupboard monitoring, testing and safe waste, biological waste stream management and chemical disposal.
The ideal candidate:
Candidates must possess at least 3 passes at A Level, or equivalent. They must also possess GCSEs, or equivalent, in Maths, English and Science. Recent experience of working in a multiuser biological research laboratory is essential, as are skills in autoclave control and glassware function.
The ideal candidate will be organised, able to work independently and have the ability to work flexibly within a small team.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £18,720 to £22,900 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a fulltime post on a permanent basis.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
Please note, this post does not meet UKVI requirements to provide tier 2 visa sponsorship.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
About the Quadram Institute:
The Quadram Institute is a new interdisciplinary research institute at the forefront of a new era in food and health research. Its mission is to understand how food and the gut microbiota are linked to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease. A partnership between Quadram Institute Bioscience, the University of East Anglia, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and BBSRC, it brings together scientists and clinicians in a new state-of-the-art building. The Quadram Institute is based on the Norwich Research Park, one of Europe’s largest centres of life sciences and home of the John Innes Centre and The Earlham Institute. (https://quadram.ac.uk/).