- Job Title
- Institute Strategic Programme Leader (Food Innovation and Health)
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 12 Aug 2019
- Starting Salary
- Competitive salary
- Hours per week
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Applications are invited for an Institute Strategic Programme Leader (Food Innovation and Health) to join the Quadram Institute Bioscience.
Institute Strategic Programme (ISP) Leaders/Senior Group Leaders within Quadram Institute Bioscience are responsible for providing inspirational leadership and supporting the Director to develop Quadram Institute as a world class food and health research centre.
Working collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders, ISP Leaders and Senior Group Leaders will lead and develop innovative scientific programmes to deliver internationally recognised high-quality science addressing worldwide challenges in human health, food and disease.
Please click here for the ISP Leader recruitment information pack.
Internal: All employees working at the Quadram Institute, including QIB, UEA and NHS colleagues. NBI Partnership.
External: UKRI, BBSRC, NRP, other scientific institutions and educational bodies, industry, governmental organisations, general public.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Develop fundamental and translational research strategies for the Institute focussed on the delivery of the current ISP, while also developing new strategic research areas and initiatives
- Work with Group Leaders to develop strategies to ensure internationally recognised quality of basic, strategic and applied research as evidenced through refereed publications, grant income and social and
economic impact. This includes:
- Managing the preparation of ISP grant applications and impact cases
- Identifying and developing innovative new areas of research, relevant to the vision and long-term goals of QIB
- Promoting research excellence across the ISP
- Supporting and mentoring established and developing Group Leaders
- Initiate, develop and maintain key external collaborations to support the delivery of the ISP and Institute objectives.
- Lead and manage Group Leader and ISP output performance (including income) targets and oversee the delivery of ISP scientific objectives. This includes:
- Working with the Director and other ISP Leaders to develop long term strategic Institute objectives and translate these into individual Group Leader objectives
- Promote Athena SWAN principles to recruit, retain and develop high quality talent with the appropriate skills to exploit developments in food and health science
- Provide appropriate leadership and management to ensure that performance targets are met (and where possible exceeded) and costs remain within budget.
- Monitor and report internally and to BBSRC on progress of ISP research objectives according to deadlines and budget.
- Develop strategic collaborations and research programmes with individuals and research groups in other leading institutes nationally and internationally to increase the global reputation and influence of Quadram Institute in line with our international strategy.
- Support the effective management of Quadram Institute Bioscience by acting as a member of one or more key Institute committees and steering groups.
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- PhD in a subject relevant to Food Innovation and Health
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Extensive knowledge of Food Innovation and Health
- Strategic vision and flexibility in supporting the Director and other ISP Leaders to provide a clear and consistent vision and direction during periods of change
- Ability to lead and participate in interdisciplinary research
- Well established record of independent research, including a history of obtaining significant research funding and effective management of projects
- Track record in developing and leading an internationally competitive personal research group
- Demonstrable history of promoting excellence and developing and maintaining high levels of performance
- Excellent publication record in peer reviewed journals, together with demonstrable international peer recognition in areas of science relevant to the Institute’s vision
- A track record of successfully mentoring junior staff and promoting their career development
- Experience of working on Research Council Committees such as BBSRC Research Committees A-D
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Strong collaboration skills, including evidence of building highly effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to articulate policy to individuals, groups and the media and to develop effective relationships in the context of research and scientific committees
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Willingness to embrace the expected values and behaviours of all staff at the Institute, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally related to collaborations and/or seminars
- Attention to detail
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
Food Innovation and Health
Join us in improving the impact of food on health across the globe.
This is an exciting time to join the Quadram Institute Bioscience as we have recently moved into a new £75 million purpose-built building with state-of-the-art research laboratories, which also houses a Clinical Research Facility and one of Europe's largest endoscopy centres. This unique setup enables us to work directly with clinicians, to achieve a world-leading understanding of the ways in which food and the microbiota of the gut are linked to the promotion of good health and the prevention of disease.
We are seeking an internationally-recognised ISP Leader to join us, to play a key leadership role in developing our strategy of maximising the positive impacts of food on world-wide human health. This is an exciting opportunity to lead high profile, cutting-edge research in the Food Innovation and Health strategic programme, in a truly multidisciplinary environment.
Applicants will need to be able to demonstrate:
• A strong track record of establishing evidence-based strategies to maximise the positive impacts of food on health.
• Research that is aligned to clinical nutrition, personalised nutrition or nutrigenomics.
• A keen interest in establishing collaborations in areas of gut health and the microbiome.
• Substantial research funding with a diverse pool of funding streams.
• Experience of leading and managing people.
• Outstanding high-quality publication record in areas of science relevant to the ISP and QI vision.
Positions come with a signiﬁcant scientific support package. We oﬀer an exciting, innovative and supportive research environment, competitive salaries and a great place to live – a relocation package is available.