- Job Title
- Head of External Relations and Engagement
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 24 Apr 2019
- Starting Salary
- £48,600 - £59,400
- Hours per week
- Project Title
- External Relations and Engagement
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 01 Jul 2019
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
The successful applicant will manage the Communications team to develop and deliver highly effective internal and external communication and engagement strategies, aligned to organisational aims and objectives.
Together with internal and external stakeholders, this role will develop and promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, recognised nationally and internationally. Developing a consistent and compelling narrative across all the activities of Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB) and the Quadram Institute (QI).
Internal: QIB Director, Chief Business Oﬃcer (when appointed), Director of Operations, Institute Strategic Programme leaders, Business Development staff and the Directorate Manager.
Other: Board of Trustees.
External: Media in the widest sense. Funding bodies including; Government, UK Research and Innovation, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, Medical Research Council, Food Standards Agency and Wellcome Trust. Private Sector organisations; University of East Anglia, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, John Innes Centre, Earlham Institute and the Norwich Research Park.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Maximising the impact of the institutes’ research outputs to (i) build their research profile and reputation for research excellence and (ii) facilitate the delivery of Pathways to impact plans.
- Communicating the outputs of QIB’s research to major funders, collaborating organisations, private sector organisations and governments.
- Supporting the Institute to develop stakeholder/media awareness and understanding, leading to the adoption of opinions and behaviours favourable to achieving QIB’s strategic objectives.
- Managing, and driving the development of, the Communications team to promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, which is recognised regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Delivering internal communications to enable effective engagement of staff and students with the strategic objectives of the institutes.
- Promoting and managing the brand and reputation of Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB) and that of the Quadram Institute (QI) as a whole.
- Working with researchers to develop and deliver QI/QIB’s communications and engagement strategies.
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent in relevant subject.
- PhD in relevant scientific discipline.
- Marketing and communications qualiﬁcation.
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge to lead on the development of the Institute’s marketing/Institutional communications channels, with a particular emphasis on digital content and distribution.
- Knowledge and experience of high proﬁle media issues management.
- Budgetary management skills.
- Knowledge of the quantitative and qualitative research methodology required to track the Institute’s reputation systematically.
- A track record of successfully delivering impactful communications strategies with measurable outcomes.
- Evidence of strategic leadership in Communication and/or marketing
- Leading on contentious issues, often under considerable time pressure (anticipating, analysing and prioritising, ensuring that statements and brieﬁng materials are prepared and, where appropriate, brieﬁng staﬀ).
- Managing a team and motivating staﬀ to deliver a high standard of service.
- Successfully developing and maintaining key relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience with performance targets and working with a range of key stakeholders, including funders, media and industrial partners.
- Relevant experience of managing and processing communications and engagement within national policy and public opinion.
- Strategy and policy development experience.
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Proven ability to manage communication channels appropriately to eﬀectively communicate the organisation’s outputs.
- Ability to prepare and coach scientists, senior managers and directors for media engagement.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and relationship building skills.
- Highly effective inﬂuencing skills, particularly the ability to inﬂuence prevailing attitudes and beliefs.
- Ability to communicate with gravitas and conviction to influence the national and international reputation of the organisation.
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Ability to travel frequently and at short notice.
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
Communications, marketing and public engagement
An exciting new senior management position has arisen for a Head of External Relations and Engagement to join the Quadram Institute, based in Norwich, UK.
The Quadram Institute is a new £multi-million state-of-the-art food and health research and endoscopy centre. It will be at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
Quadram Institute will be engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies and one of Europe’s largest endoscopy centres, all under one roof. It will work with industry to become a leading international hub for food and health science, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, to deliver better patient care whilst accelerating innovation.
The Head of External Relations and Engagement will spearhead the development and delivery of QI’s branding, external communications and engagement strategy. They will manage the Communications team to develop and deliver highly effective strategies, aligned to organisational aims and objectives.
Together with internal and external stakeholders, this role will develop and promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, recognised nationally and internationally. Developing a consistent and compelling narrative across all the activities of Quadram Institute
The ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate will have a science background and have experience of working at a senior level in marketing and/or communications, preferably in an academic organisation or the biomedical sector. Candidates should be educated to degree level in a relevant subject. A PhD within a science discipline would be advantageous but not essential.
Initially, the post holder will work with consultants to develop and implement a new communications strategy for the Quadram Institute. Therefore, some evidence of the successful development and delivery of communications or marketing strategies is highly desirable.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £48,600 to £59,400 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a fulltime post on a permanent basis.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.