- Job Title
- Head of External Relations and Engagement
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 22 Jul 2019
- Starting Salary
- £54,500 - £68,500
- Hours per week
- Project Title
- External Relations and Engagement
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
The Head of External Relations and Engagement will manage the Communications team to develop and deliver highly effective internal and external communication and engagement strategies, aligned to organisational aims and objectives.
Together with internal and external stakeholders, this role will develop and promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, recognised nationally and internationally. Developing a consistent and compelling narrative across all the activities of Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB) and the Quadram Institute (QI).
Internal: QIB Director, Chief Business Officer, Director of Operations, Institute Strategic Programme Leaders, Executive Board. Head of Business Development, Staff, NBI Partnership.
External: Media in the widest sense. Funding bodies including; Government, RCUK, BBSRC, MRC, FSA, Wellcome Trust, Norwich Research Park, other scientific institutions and educational bodies. QIB, UEA and NHS colleagues.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- The Head of External Relations and Engagement will lead on the development and support the delivery of the Institute’s branding, communications (internal and external) and engagement strategy. To achieve this, they will:
• Develop and deliver communications and public engagement strategies, ensuring they support the delivery of the Institute objectives and promotion of the work of QI on the world stage.
• Work closely with researchers to support them in developing communications strategies to maximise the impact of their work; build their research profile for research excellence and develop their stakeholder/media awareness and understanding.
• Communicate the outputs of QIB’s research to major funders, collaborating organisations, private sector organisations and governments.
• Lead and manage the development of the Communications team to promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, which is recognised regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Promote and manage the brand and reputation of Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB) and that of the Quadram Institute (QI) to build and strengthen the brand identity and communicate the Institutes’ key messages effectively nationally and internationally;
• Work with the Head of Business Development team to support the delivery of the ISP impact plans;
• Develop and deliver internal communications plans to enable effective engagement of staff and students with the strategic objectives of the institute
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- PhD in relevant scientific discipline
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area
- Marketing and communications qualiﬁcation
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of organisational and employer brand development and management
- Knowledge to lead on the development of the Institute’s marketing/communications channels, with a particular emphasis on digital content and distribution
- Knowledge and experience of high profile media issues management
- Budgetary management skills
- Knowledge of the quantitative and qualitative research methodology required to track the Institutes’ reputation systematically
- Up to date knowledge of science policy and developments
- A track record of successfully delivering impactful communications strategies with measurable outcomes
- Evidence of strategic leadership in Communication and/or marketing
- Experience of successfully leading and developing communications and marketing teams
- Experience of leading on contentious issues, often under considerable time pressure
- Experience of successfully developing and maintaining key relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Experience of producing high quality communications materials to meet the needs of a variety of audiences
- Experience of working with a range of key stakeholders including funders and industrial partners
- Experience to prepare and coach scientists, senior managers and directors for media engagement
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proven ability to manage communication channels appropriately to eﬀectively communicate the organisation’s outputs
- Ability to prepare and coach scientists, senior managers and directors for media engagement
- Ability to communicate with gravitas and conviction to influence the national and international reputation of the organisation
- Ability to rapidly assimilate the multi-faceted nature of the Institutes’ activities and to turn ideas into actions and outputs
- A strong team player, focussed and committed to delivering and helping colleagues achieve their goals
- Ability to successfully deliver projects in partnership with other teams and stakeholders
- Demonstrable ability to deliver results when dealing with highly sensitive issues in a culturally and politically complex environment
- Ability to horizon-scan to identify and mitigate potential reputational risks
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Ability to travel and provide professional media relations support out of hours, when necessary
- Attention to detail
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
Communications, marketing and public engagement
Head of External Relations and Engagement
Quadram Institute, based in Norwich, UK
£54,500 to £68,500 per annum
Fulltime permanent post.
We have an outstanding opportunity to drive our engagement strategy to ensure QI is placed at the forefront on the global stage, promoting our understanding of how food and the gut microbiota are linked to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease.
As the new Head of External Relations and Engagement, you will spearhead the development and delivery of QI’s branding, external communications and engagement strategy. Leading and managing the Communications team you will develop and deliver highly effective strategies by utilising your creativity and cutting-edge media technologies.
Together with internal and external stakeholders, this role will develop and promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, recognised nationally and internationally.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD within a scientific discipline, experience of working at a senior level in marketing and/or communications, preferably in an academic organisation or the biomedical sector.
If you are passionate about impactful communications and have a desire to develop a consistent and compelling narrative across all the activities of Quadram Institute, we look forward to receiving an application from you.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. https://quadram.ac.uk/about/join-us/