- Job Title
- Group Leader (Nutrition)
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 12 Aug 2019
- Starting Salary
- Competitive salary
- Hours per week
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Key role within the Quadram Institute with primary responsibility for contributing to and delivering the Institute’s Strategic Programmes.
Working collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders, Group Leaders and Fellows will develop and deliver innovative research strategies and programmes focussed on developing solutions to worldwide challenges in human health, food and disease.
Internal: All employees working at QI, including QIB, UEA and NHS colleagues, NBI Partnership.
External: RCUK, BBSRC, NRP, other scientific institutions and educational bodies, general public.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of research strategies in the Institute
- Initiate the development of research proposals and projects as self-contained items or as part of a broader programme
- Design and implement innovative research methodologies that add to the knowledge and understanding of the discipline
- Lead and manage independent research projects and supervise the work of extended research teams
- Secure significant research funding in accordance with the expectations of the discipline and level of the role
- Lead and manage research teams including supervising postdoctoral students, supporting effective career development and maintaining high levels of performance representative of a world class institute
- Take the lead in writing papers for publication in leading academic journals and other relevant media, including being available to provide expert commentary in a variety of media
- Promote our research and develop business opportunities for the Institute by liaising with and influencing government, industry and other external partners
- Disseminate research findings and consolidate the Institute’s international reputation through participation in international conference and exhibitions
- Other duties commensurate with the nature of the role as identified by the ISP Leader
Education & Qualifications
- A strong first/senior author publication record in peer reviewed journals
- Ph.D relevant to clinical nutrition, personalised nutrition or nutrigenomics
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge and skills relating to the understanding of how individual food components, complex foods and combinations of foods are digested, and how nutrients and non-nutrient food components are released and absorbed.
- Established record of independent research, including a history of obtaining significant research funding and effective management of projects
- Experience of effectively leading, managing and mentoring research teams, including promoting excellence
- Ability to lead and participate in interdisciplinary research
- Success in leading research and initiating interdisciplinary collaborations
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Strong collaboration skills, including the ability to develop productive interactions with researchers within and outside the institute including at other national and international centres.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with all people at all levels both inside and outside the institute
- Ability to create, build, strengthen and sustain highly effective relationships with key stakeholders
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Willingness to embrace the expected values and behaviours of all staff at the Institute, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally related to collaborations and/or seminars
- Attention to detail
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
This is an exciting time to join the Quadram Institute Bioscience as we have recently moved into a new £75 million purpose-built building with state-of-the-art research laboratories, which also houses a Clinical Research Facility and one of Europe's largest endoscopy centres. This unique setup enables us to work directly with clinicians, to achieve a world-leading understanding of the ways in which food and the microbiota of the gut are linked to the promotion of good health and the prevention of disease.
We have an exceptional opportunity for a highly motivated individual with research interests in clinical nutrition, personalised nutrition or nutrigenomics as part of our Food Innovation and Health research programme.
We would like to hear from applicants with:
• Outstanding publication record in areas of research relevant to QIB.
• Extensive research experience in areas such as clinical nutrition, personalised nutrition or nutrigenomics.
• A track record of securing significant grant funding.
• Experience of leading and managing people.
Positions come with a signiﬁcant scientific support package. We oﬀer an exciting, innovative and supportive research environment, competitive salaries and a great place to live – a relocation package is available.