- Job Title
- Business Development Manager
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 15 Feb 2020
- Starting Salary
- £31,625 - £38,575
- Hours per week
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 01 Apr 2020
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Engage with external organisations to seek out, define and deliver funding opportunities for QIB Group Leaders. The main objective of the role will be to reinforce existing and establishing new relationships outside the Higher Education sector to increase knowledge exchange, generate impact, identify opportunities for collaborative research and increase funded research from relevant external bodies.
Work with Scientists and Administrative staff of all levels across QIB, and also laise regulary with investors, companies and Government agencies.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Support Group Leaders to develop and build relationships with industry, public sector, business intermediaries and funding organisations
- Proactively identify external partners for collaborative projects
- Interface with the relevant networks and partners to develop opportunities for collaborative innovation funding proposals
- Contribute to increasing the profile of the Institute by attending business conferences, networking events, business breakfast and relevant events
- Facilitate visits from investors, companies and Government agencies
- Support the submission of translation funding applications, business plans and, where appropriate, support/be directly involved in management and delivery of funded projects. This will include supporting Innovate UK, NBIC and Research Council translational funding schemes
- Work collectively within a small team with the ability to prioritise work based on opportunities
- Work to and report on performance targets agreed with the Head of Business Development
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post
Education & Qualifications
- Post graduate level qualification in a relevant scientific discipline (molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, food safety science, microbiology, metagenomics, sequencing)
- Management or professional qualification
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of intellectual property in a research environment
- Knowledge and understanding of knowledge exchange and Impact in Higher Education environment
- Knowledge and application of project management skills within the context of partnership development
- Skilled at developing, maintaining and influencing external networks, for the benefit of QIB
- Competent user of Office 365
- Demonstrable ability to co-ordinate a range of different stakeholders and complex relationships
- Established professional network in the biotech/agro/food sectors
- Knowledge of PatBase and MyIP platforms
- Substantial recent experience of working in a similar or transferable role
- Experience in developing collaborations and/or consortia
- Experience of initiating, planning and managing projects, ensuring that plans are aligned with organisational strategic goals.
- Demonstrable experience in landscaping, roadmapping or horizon scanning
- Demonstrable experience of developing/writing successful business plans/ funding applications
- Demonstrable experience in marketing and/or branding activities
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate complex subjects clearly and to a variety of levels and to different audiences
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Good negotiation skills
- Attention to detail
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Willingness to travel both within the UK and Overseas
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required
- Willingness to embrace the expected values and behaviours of all staff at the Institute, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both the international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
The Quadram Institute is a diverse and multicultural scientific community. We thrive on our international and European links, appointing staff from across the world. We expect this to continue post Brexit. However, any candidate who would like further information on current or anticipated immigration requirements can contact the HR Team on +44 (0)1603 450888 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Development Manager
Applications are invited for a Business Development Manager to join the team at Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB), based in Norwich, UK.
The Quadram Institute is a new interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to understanding how food and microbes interact to promote health and prevent disease. Its mission is to deliver healthier lives through innovation in gut health, microbiology and food. A partnership between Quadram Institute Bioscience, the University of East Anglia, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and BBSRC, it brings together scientists and clinicians in a state-of-the-art building on the Norwich Research Park. This is one of Europe’s largest centres of life sciences and home of the John Innes Centre and The Earlham Institute. (https://quadram.ac.uk/).
The main role of the Business Development Manager will be to engage with external organisations to seek out opportunities for funding and exploitation for QIB Group Leaders. The main objective of the role will be to reinforce existing and establishing new relationships outside the Higher Education sector to increase knowledge exchange, generate impact, identify opportunities for collaborative research and increase funded research from relevant external bodies.
Other key areas of the role will include attending business conferences and networking events, facilitating visits from investors and government agencies and supporting funding applications.
The ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate will be educated to Post graduate level or equivalent within a relevant scientific field (molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, food safety science, microbiology, metagenomics, sequencing), and possess project management skills and experience in developing collaborations and/or consortia. Ideally, they will possess knowledge of intellectual property and impact within a research environment and have a demonstrable ability to co-ordinate a range of different stakeholders and complex relationships.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £31,625 to £38,575 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time, permanent post.
This position is offered as a developmental opportunity. The Institute will put in place an appropriate training package following the successful completion of the probationary period. This could include a formal qualification (Chartered Management Institute qualification or equivalent) and mentoring support.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
The closing date for applications will be 15 February 2020.
The Quadram Institute Bioscience is a registered charity (No. 1058499) and is an Equal Opportunities Employer.