- Job Title
- Commercialisation Manager
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 15 Mar 2021
- Starting Salary
- £41,000 - £47,000
- Hours per week
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Manage the commercialisation of intellectual property (IP) of the Quadram Institute Bioscience, ensuring that the knowledge and IP created are developed and used to deliver tangible benefits for society.
A key part of this role will be building highly effective and collaborative relationships with commercial industry partners and funding UK and overseas funding bodies. This can include LEP, Research Councils, Charities, VCs, Innovate UK, the EU and other overseas funders.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Assessment of research discoveries, analysis and evaluation. Advancement of those technologies through to market adoption via collaboration with industry, access to translational funds, licensing or spin out.
- Promoting the Institute capabilities and licensing portfolio and securing collaborative research and commercialisation income.
- Managing industry partnerships and key stakeholder relationships and facilitate visits to the QIB by investors, companies and Government agencies.
- Liaise with colleagues in the Business Development Team and with Senior management at QIB to contribute to the development of good practice in the management and commercialisation of Institute IP.
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role
Education & Qualifications
- Post graduate level qualification in a relevant scientific discipline (biology, chemistry, bio-technology, food science) or a graduate qualification and significant practical laboratory experience in a commercially focused R&D department
- Formal project management qualification
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Good knowledge of Technology Transfer systems / processes
- Practical knowledge of commercialisation and investment networks
- Knowledge of PatBase, MyIP and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Demonstrable project management skills, with the ability to co-ordinate a range of different stakeholders and complex relationships
- Good knowledge and practical experience of financial management (i.e. understanding profit, budgets)
- Experience of teaching aspects of technology transfer
- Ability to read and interpret legal contracts
- Knowledge and direct experience of the patent system, working with patent agents and recording information for management purposes
- Practical understanding of product innovation and technology commercialisation processes
- Experience in working with researchers to find commercial routes to market for knowledge / IP and have successfully led the commercialisation / implementation of technology or IP
- Extensive experience of initiating, planning and managing projects
- Experience of intellectual property issues in a research environment
- Experience of developing collaborations and carrying out negotiations
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal skills with the ability to communicate complex subjects clearly and to a variety of levels, including board level in major commercial organisations
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with extensive evidence of developing highly effective collaborative working relationships
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to follow instructions / Standard Operating Procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, using initiative and applying problem solving skills
- Developed persuasion and influencing skills, coupled with the ability to credibly represent QIB as a world class organisation
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both the international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
- Requirement to travel extensively both within the UK and Overseas
- Willingness to learn new IT programmes
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of information where appropriate
- Willingness to embrace the expected values and behaviours of all staff at the Institute, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours as required
- Attention to detail
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
The Quadram Institute is a diverse and multicultural scientific community. We thrive on our international and European links, appointing staff from across the world. Any candidate who would like further information on current or anticipated immigration requirements can contact the HR Team on +44 (0)1603 450888 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are invited for a Commercialisation Manager to join the Business Development (BD) team at Quadram Institute Bioscience (QIB), based in Norwich, UK.
The main purpose of this exciting role will be to manage research-derived IP, establish commercialisation strategies and support the development of an entrepreneurial culture within the Institute. The successful candidate will be a key member of the BD team, driving the commercialisation agenda of Quadram Institute Bioscience and ensuring the knowledge and IP created are used to deliver tangible benefits for society.
The ideal candidate:
This role provides an opportunity for a commercially focused individual with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, to apply and develop their commercial collaboration skills in a unique national and international marketplace. Candidates should have a post graduate level qualification in a relevant scientific discipline, however applicants with significant laboratory experience in a commercially focused R&D department will also be considered.
Candidates must have experience in working with researchers to find commercial routes to market for technology / IP and have successfully led the commercialisation / implementation of technology or IP. Understanding product innovation and technology commercialisation processes is essential as is establishing collaborative research opportunities. Candidates must also be willing to travel extensively both within and outside of the UK.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £41,000 to £47,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time post offered on a permanent basis.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
About the Quadram Institute:
The Quadram Institute is a new interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to understanding how food and microbes interact to promote health and prevent disease. Its mission is to deliver healthier lives through innovation in gut health, microbiology and food. A partnership between Quadram Institute Bioscience, the University of East Anglia, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and BBSRC, it brings together scientists and clinicians in a state-of-the-art building on the Norwich Research Park. This is one of Europe’s largest centres of life sciences and home of the John Innes Centre and The Earlham Institute. (https://quadram.ac.uk/).
The closing date for applications will be 15 March 2021.
The Quadram Institute Bioscience is a registered charity (No. 1058499) and is an Equal Opportunities Employer