- Job Title
- Head of Business Development and Commercialisation
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 15 Mar 2021
- Starting Salary
- £51,000 - £60,000
- Hours per week
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
The Head of Business Development and Commercialisation will facilitate the identification and evaluation of opportunities for increasing the Institute’s commercial incomes through engagement with industry and careful exploitation of knowledge assets. They will work closely with the senior management team and report to the Chief Business Officer (CBO).
The successful candidate will lead the Business Development team and work closely with the Chief Business Officer on the development and implementation of the Knowledge Exchange, Commercialisation (KEC) and Impact strategies at Quadram Institute Bioscience. Working with senior scientists to maximise collaboration with industry and the commercialisation of intellectual property, this is a key appointment for developing and maintaining an innovative and entrepreneurial culture within the organisation.
Internal relationships include:
QIB Trustees, the Director and the Chief Business Officer, Institute Strategic Programme Leaders, Group Leaders, Career Track Group Leaders and other senior scientists. Employees in the Business Development team and the Head of External Relations and Engagement.
External relationships include:
Key contacts at BBSRC and UKRI. Research and Innovation staff from the University of East Anglia, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, the John Innes Centre, the Earlham Institute and the CEO of the Norwich Research Park. Senior, influential staff in appropriate commercial organisations.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Alongside the CBO, defining and delivering the QIB Commercialisation and Impact Strategies, in line with the Institute’s vision and mission, and the Institute’s Strategic Programmes.
- Delivering high quality services and support to maximise the Institute’s commercial incomes, through research collaborations with industry and careful exploitation of knowledge assets, including intellectual property.
- Providing the Institute’s Executive Board with strategic insight and direction, to support the growth of KEC and Impact activities throughout the Institute, and to increase collaboration with external stakeholders.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the QI research community, reviewing the Institute’s KEC and Impact strengths and delivering programmes to develop the skills and capabilities of the Institute’s researchers as required.
- Maximising the funding opportunities available to the Institute, by building productive networks and relationships with stakeholder groups including; local government, Local Enterprise Partnerships, specific industries, individual businesses, other universities and Research Councils funded research Institutes.
- Leading and managing the KEC professionals in the Business Development team, work within the resources and structures in place, to foster a culture of innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship within the team and across the Institute.
- Working with the Head of External Relations and Engagement to create a strategy for marketing and stakeholder management and monitor the impact of organisational strategies on the commercial activities of the Institute.
- Bid on funding opportunities aimed at accelerating the exploitation of the Institute’s knowledge assets.
- Working with the Head of Contracts to facilitate information management and reporting.
- Preparing Confidentiality Agreements and ensuring that opportunities for intellectual property are maximised.
- Managing the Institute’s IP and patenting processes.
- Representing the Institute at national and international events, relating to the development of research, impact and commercial activities.
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- Masters or PhD in a scientific subject of relevance to the work of the Institute
- PhD in biological science
- MBA or equivalent qualification
- A formal IP qualification
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Successful delivery of services which maximise commercial incomes from knowledge assets
- Thorough knowledge of IP in relation to science and/or healthcare
- Budget management skills and experience
- A thorough understanding of the funding streams which the Institute may be able to access
- Experience of managing a team to successfully deliver organisational support in business development and commercialisation
- Delivery of organisation-wide development programmes in relation to IP, commercialisation or innovation
- Experience of successfully delivering organisation-wide commercialisation, impact, or equivalent, strategies
- Experience of successfully negotiating with industrial partners/customers and scientists
- Experience of assessing commercial developments/innovation in a scientific and academic environment
- Experience of establishing a network of contacts in biological sciences
- Experience of organising international workshops/seminars
- Experience of Chairing multidisciplinary meetings and committees
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional relationship building, interpersonal and networking skills
- Exceptional influencing, persuading and negotiating skills
- Outstanding presentation skills
- A record of mentoring colleagues in other teams and departments
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to embrace the expected values and behaviours of all staff at the Institute, ensuring it is a great place to work
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both the international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally, on a frequent basis
- Promotes equality and values diversity
Who We Are
Quadram Institute Bioscience
The Quadram Institute is at the forefront of a new interface between food science, gut biology and health, developing solutions to worldwide challenges in food-related disease and human health.
We are engaged in fundamental and translational food and health research, alongside clinical studies, endoscopy and industry, working together to become a leading international hub for food and health research, combining scientific excellence and clinical expertise, delivering impacts on patient care and accelerating innovation.
The Quadram Institute is a diverse and multicultural scientific community. We thrive on our international and European links, appointing staff from across the world. Any candidate who would like further information on current or anticipated immigration requirements can contact the HR Team on +44 (0)1603 450888 or email@example.com.
Head of Business Development and Commercialisation
Are you an experienced business development professional, with a successful track record of developing relationships between researchers and commerce?
Can you work collaboratively with colleagues to create a culture of innovation, enterprise and entrepreneurship?
Are you motivated by the opportunity to contribute towards our strategy of maximising the positive impacts of food on world-wide human health, by exploiting knowledge assets?
If so, we are providing an exceptional opportunity for you to play a key strategic role in the delivery of the Quadram Institute Bioscience’s (QIB) mission to deliver healthier lives for people world-wide, through innovation in gut health, microbiology and food.
QIB is a unique interdisciplinary institute working in partnership with the NHS and academia in ground-breaking ways, to maximise academic excellence and clinical expertise in working with government and industry. Together as Quadram Institute (QI) we aim to develop evidence-based strategies to maximise positive impacts of food on health, from early life to the extension of a healthy lifespan in old age and reduce the economic and societal costs of chronic diseases.
We are seeking a well organised and motivated individual, with proven experience of developing innovation and commercialisation initiatives that will maximise income across QI.
This is an exciting time to be joining the Institute which will provide the successful applicant with opportunities to shape our innovation and commercialisation for the future.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £51,000 to £60,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time post offered on a permanent basis.
We are committed to equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sectors of society. The Institute supports equality of opportunity within the workplace and expects all employees to share and display these values. To support our commitment, we have a range of family, faith and diversity friendly working arrangements to help all staff achieve excellence in their area of work.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy.
The closing date for applications will be 15 March 2021.
The Quadram Institute Bioscience is a registered charity (No. 1058499) and is an Equal Opportunities Employer.